Dr. Kidd's Recommended Commentaries for 1&2 Corinthians
- B. Witherington, Conflict & Community in Corinth (Eerdmans,
1995) - treats both Corinthian letters.
- G. Fee (1 Corinthians, NICNT, 1987) - Fee is an extraordinarily gifted
- Conzelmann (1 Corinthians, Hermeneia, 1975) - the standard critical
commentary good on background information, but dispensable if you have
- P.E. Hughes (2 Corinthians, NICNT, 1962) - an eminently worthy and
weighty commentary by a prince of a Reformed theologian (even though he
did goof up on annihilationism late in life) - Hughes did the 2Cor notes
in the NIV Study Bible (one of the principal merits of that study Bible,
by the way).
- V.P. Furnish (2 Corinthians, Anchor, 1984) - rather less theological
than Hughes, but well attuned to the social world of the letter.